My Notes – Early Childhood Education Diploma » Blog Archive » Registering Child Care Centre in Malaysia

Child care centre is any premise at which 4 or more children under the age of four from more than one household are received to be looked after for reward.

There are 2 types:
- Home based child care centre(receive less than 10 children that is based at home)
- Institution based child care centre (receive 10 or more children)

Here’s the rough guidelines of the registration:

  1. Go to welfare department to get the guide book.
  2. Get approval from Local Council, health department, fire and rescue department, and land and survey.
  3. Send application to nearby Welfare Department Officer(PKMD) with postal money of RM50.
  4. PKMD sends the application to State Welfare Director(PKMN).
  5. PKMN sends the application to General Director of Malaysia Welfare Department.
  6. License for 5 years will be given

Documents required:

  • Application form
  • Floor plan
  • List of daily activities
  • List of menu
  • List of activities with parents
  • Business license
  • Staff list(name, IC, position, certificates)

Here’s extra information that you must know which you can find in the guidebook:

  • Must use the term “TASKA”
  • Name must be in national language
  • Not supposed to give confusion to others and sensitive in various aspects
  • Should not use state name, city name, district name, political party name, other country leader’s name, short name, individual name, or name that is the same as existing kindergarten.
  • The usage of name of prominent person must have written agreement from the owner of the name/heir
  • Owner must be a Malaysian.
  • Register with ROB and ROC.
  • Child care center should not be using the same premise as kindergarten.
This entry was posted on Sunday, January 18th, 2009 at 11:40 pm and is filed under Plan,Organize Early Childhood Care,Educational Setting. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

55 comments so far

ng huimin

can u giv me more info n the college or university for the “DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDU” pls?thnks~

September 18th, 2009 at 11:48 am
ng huimin

in malaysia off coz.

September 18th, 2009 at 11:49 am

Hi, I only know segi offer this course, get your information here:

September 26th, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Does that mean a business license (ROB) is needed before all the procedures? You stated “ROB and ROC”, why? Isn’t it one or another?

Am I right to say that a business license is one of the “pre-requisite” (documentation) before qualifying for a care centre’s license?

If one is yet to secure a place for the centre, and wanted to get a business license to secure name of centre, is it possible to apply ROB under a temporary address, and later change it to permanent address before submitting the care centre’s application to PKMD?

Will I get email notification when you reply?

Thank you very much :)

July 22nd, 2010 at 3:00 pm



December 19th, 2010 at 11:20 am


1. Yes, they will as long that you teach whatever is stated in the curriculum. It doesn’t matter what kind of method you use, as long that you cover things that are stated in the curriculum.

2. Basic requirement? Of course you need the right location, the right people with the right qualification. The list is too long, you can always get it from the welfare department, they have a handbook for it.

3. If you are referring to giving training to the adult in Montessori, then this is a different story. I don’t think Malaysia government will recognize lecturer from Taiwan. Then again, it can always be arranged and find a way for it. Sorry, I don’t know the way, it’s best for you to approach the relevant agencies (welfare department and education department) for it.

January 6th, 2011 at 5:25 pm

hi. Is it possible foreigner to be a owner of taska in malaysia?. is it possible as a owner, foreigner works as worker as well?. Coz, Im a Indonesian who married with malaysian. And Plan to open childcare in my home. so please help me to answer of my questions.
thank you.

January 13th, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Shash, it must be a Malaysian as the owner, as for the worker it will depend. You can use your husband’sg name to register it. There will be many other thins that need to be approved such as the location, facilities and so on. It also depend on what kind of child care you want to open, such as how many children you will be taking care of as there are limit for different type. It is best to get the handbook at Welfare Department and the details are all there.

January 15th, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I need to get a handbook from the Welfare department, please let me know where is the address and phone number. THX

February 8th, 2011 at 1:08 am

few more questions to ask: 1. will that be any difference between opening a childcare and/or kindergarten in malaysia? I mean the requirement. 2. what abt age requirement to be registered the center? will that be ok if the person is under 21? 3. what happen if the registered person changes his/her citizenship(to United States) after the center business is running? Will the registration still valid since 5-years licenseis being issued under that person’s previous Malaysia citizenship?

February 8th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

hi, is that i have to study the certificate early childhood to reach the requirement? thanks :)

February 12th, 2011 at 3:58 pm

1) Must you have some kind of qualification (eg. Diploma in Early Childhood, etc.) in order to open a childcare center in Malaysia?

2) Are the requirements for setting up a childcare centre and and infant care centre the same?

3) How can I get in touch with the welfare department? Who are they actually?

4) Is there a contact where I can get in touch with the relevant parties to check more details of the requirements?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

February 23rd, 2011 at 3:57 pm

HI Linda, sorry for the very late reply as I don’t check this blog for a long time due to busy schedule. The welfare department, you can go to your nearest one coz I don’t know where you locate and I’m afraid I don’t have any contact of it also. You can check this website out:

March 14th, 2011 at 12:33 am


1. Yes, there’s differences. For kindergarten, you must register with the education department also and follow the curriculum.

2. The owner can be of any age as long he/she is already an adult, similar to how one register their business.

3. He/She must be a Malaysian. If previously he/she is a Malaysian, I don’t think the person can renew it anymore since he/she no longer a Malaysian coz based on the requirement, it stated that it must a Malaysia. When you renew, they have review the renewal again if not mistaken, it’s not like any other business pay and renew due to the nature of business which involve children well-being.

March 14th, 2011 at 12:37 am

Christine, you can be the owner without the qualification but if you want to be the principal, then you must have the qualification.

March 14th, 2011 at 12:40 am


1) If you are not planning to be the principal or the teacher then you don’t have to. Owner doesn’t have to have the qualification but you must hire someone with qualification to be the principal.

2) childcare centre and = infant care centre

3 & 4) They are the people whom take care of the well-being of the children and families. You can visit to learn more.

March 14th, 2011 at 12:42 am

ROB and ROC, that’s what stated in my notes. Best way is for you can get the handbook where the procedure is all listed in there.

March 15th, 2011 at 12:45 pm


Similar to questions asked previously….I am very much interested in obtaining some training/courses on child care.

I am considering of opening a child care centre in cmg years, however want to ensure I have the necessary training before I start.

March 19th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I want to start up a kindergarten in johor bahru but i have no idea how to do? Could please assist me? How’s the capital like? what is the things that i need to look up?

March 30th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Dear Admin,

Thanks for answering my queries.
I’m currently taking up a course for Diploma in Montessori Method of Teaching.
I hope I will have no problem being a principal of my own centre.

Montessori course is also recognized in Malaysia right?


April 19th, 2011 at 10:46 am

hi, i just want to ask whether can we open in a double storey house,and basically what are the salary for a principle?

May 5th, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Dear admin,

1) Is it a must that the day care centre to be a corner unit house? Can it be opened at intermediate unit?

2) I see that you only mentioned about RM50 postal money, any other application charges? How about the license fee?


May 25th, 2011 at 10:46 am

What will be the qualification that we needed to open a day care..

May 26th, 2011 at 7:50 pm

To apply for business license (ROB). I have the handout but do u have any example to show me so that i can prepare accordingly. thank you so much

June 20th, 2011 at 3:20 pm
joseph lee

hi, how to register a training institute for training courses such as business,first aid, accounting?

June 24th, 2011 at 4:32 pm

do u mean that i can get my trade license b4 i have my qualification cert?

July 20th, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Hi,i’m Caroline from Malaysia and i’m doing my cert 3 and diploma too in Sydney now. I would like to ask you if i can own a child care center and as a principle in Malaysia with the qualification of Australia’s Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care ?Hope to hear you soon.Thanks

July 30th, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Dear admin,

Just wanted to know, up to what number of child you take care then only you must have a license?. Im referring to home base. And is Taska a malay word for kindergarten?

Thanks in advance! :)

August 1st, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Diploma in childhood certificate from any country?can I still b a principle of the centre if I hav diploma in childhood from Singapore?

October 4th, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Hi. I’m planning to operate a daycare (purely daycare for parents who have no one to care for their kids after Kindy/Montessori / Playschool). Is any certification / qualification required?

Kindly advise.

November 14th, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Emily, well…
1. Corner would be best but I guess it also depends on the unit design as you need outdoor space. Corner unit is the best. Most important is not located at the deadend.

2. There are other charges such as trade license and so on which will depend on the kind you want to open. Franchise might have other fee you need to consider, non-franchise there might be other fees too.

Can’t help much sorry. You will need to get the handbook from the welfare department near your place and don’t ask me where it’s located. I have no idea at all since I don’t live at your place.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Yasiny, it depends on how big you want to open. The welfare department will be able to help you. Usually you will need to attend some courses offered by them. You have to check with them.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Lydia, sorry, no example. All you need is go to the registrar and get the form and ask the officer there.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Joseph, I’m afraid you’re asking at the wrong place. You just go to the relevant department such as the business registrar office for it.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Anna, well… It’s up to you but if you don’t have a qualification, you get the business license also can’t do anything. You need other approval from the welfare department, police deaprtment, fire department and so on.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Caroline, yes you can as long that you have the money and qualification.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Jas, Taska is childcare centre. Tadika is Kindergarten.

The number of children is mentioned in the post:
Any premise at which 4 or more children under the age of four from more than one household are received to be looked after for reward.

Hope it helps.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Diana, yes, as long that you have the qualification.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Sharon, you need to have some qualifications which you can always get from the attending courses offer by the welfare department or relevant departments or take up early childhood study. Monterssori will require certification else you cannot operate one. Nowadays, no qualification, it won’t get approaval easily.

December 12th, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Hi,if i want to open day care centre , what cert should i have? diploma in montessori izzit enough? or need more another cert?

January 27th, 2012 at 9:30 pm

May i know if i have the diploma in montessori teaching from Montessori World Educational Institute of USA, can i open a montessori? does that diploma recognize by malaysia?

February 9th, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Hi. Anyone can answer Angie? i hv the same problem as well.. any runners can help on this? to apply kindergarten licence at Johor side. Thanks!

February 27th, 2012 at 12:17 pm
Xuan Lin

Hi Irene, I have quite afew questions regarding this issue :) Hope you can spare me some time and discuss it over email.

I am a Msian studying in spore as a PR, currently taking a Diploma which is not related to Early Childhood studies (Business related). But I would like to open a kindergarten in Malaysia in future.

Planning to pursue in that area after my current 3 years diploma course. However unsure of the qualifications needed since I’m studying in Spore now but plan to open it in MAlaysia! Really hope you can help! Thanks!

March 15th, 2012 at 3:09 am

Hi admin, i’m thinking to open a baby day care just for the new born until age 2 in an office block. Will there be any complication? What are the license to apply beside ROB? Any course/qualification that is required to attend?
Thank you.

March 26th, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Hi, are there any guidelines from the gov agency for setting a kindergarten menu?

April 4th, 2012 at 10:10 am

Dear Admin,

Kindly to ask that for home base child care is must less than 10 children or depend on how big for the house. if the house got enough space and worker is that able to receive more children

June 26th, 2012 at 11:32 pm
Michelle Ng

Dear Admin,

After read all the above, I’ve learn more about open a Childcare Center / Kindergarten. As I do not have Cert, therefore I need to hire a principal, may I know how much for the salary?

July 11th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Hi Michelle, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. I’m sorry but I do not know how much is the salary.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hello Eva, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. It depends on how big and how many manpower you have. Guideline can be found at your local welfare department.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

yli, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. I’m not sure but if you do attend any course related to it by the government they should have it as guidelines but as an early childhood educator you must at least have this knowledge in hand. Of course one thing for sure you must consider children with allergies and other diet requirements.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hello Samantha, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. You have to get approval from welfare department and get the guidelines from them. You must have qualification related to it or else you have to hire people to be the principal and you as the business owner.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hi Xuan Lin, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. You must have qualification related to it or else you have to hire people to be the principal and you as the business owner.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hello Lily,sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. First thing is to go to welfare department, they have all the guidelines.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Hello Claire, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. Yes you can, this is just one of the requirements, there are still other things such as the building, safety, and so on that you need to consider.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Deon, sorry for the late reply, I haven’t check this blog for a long time. Generally you diploma is enough but at the same time you have to check with the welfare department for further details.

October 9th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Leave a reply

Name (*)
Mail (will not be published) (*)